5 Minute Rapid Presentations
REQUEST A LETTER OF INTENDED PARTICIPATION.
Abstract Submissions will open May 15, 2018.
The importance of being concise
Simplify. SumMarize. Streamline.
Helping scientists strive for brevity in their communications, SSSA offers a compact style of presentation at the International Soils Meeting called "5 Minute Rapid" presentation. The training video to the right explains how to structure your talk to fit the "rapid" format.
In standard writing and presentation recommendations, experts state the following length limits:
- Six words: recommended titles
- Three minutes: best readership of blog posts
- Three minutes: best viewership of YouTube videos
By following a 5-minute format, you are joining the leading edge of science communications.
5 Minute Rapid Benefits
What will you get out of doing a 5 Minute Rapid presentation?
- Brevity creates excitement. Be prepared for robust discussion about your research after the session is over.
- Combine with a poster presentation, and the 5-minute talk becomes your “advertisement” for the poster session.
- Experience with being concise gives you tools to communicate effectively with the public, funders, and other audiences.
- Most importantly, you will learn to tell your story in a clear, succinct manner. In a world on information overload, we are truly successful only when we help others see why our work is important in a short, impactful way.
5 Minute Rapid Format
There will be three slides per talk. An optional template is downloadable from this site, and the 5-minute training video on this page gives examples of how to get to three slides within a 5-minute presentation.
- Title slide (six words): uses the question as the title and lists authors/co-authors and their respective institutions.
- Results: one slide, including figure/table. Use SI units in text, figures, and tables.
- Recommendations/summary slide.
FAQs about the 5 Minute Rapid talks
Questions about PowerPoint formatting: Susan Fisk (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Questions about the technical program or other non-5 Minute Rapid questions: Nate Ehresman (email@example.com)
Will I really be limited to 5 minutes? Yes. The moderators are trained in this format and will ensure "rapid" sessions run smoothly so all presentations run on time.
How can I get help with making sure my talk is 5 minutes? Watch the training video on this page, and send any format and editing questions to Susan Fisk.
Are there examples of other 5 minute talks? Yes, watch the 5 minute video training to see one in action.
I want to change my presentation title to more closely represent the 5 Minute Rapid format. Is this possible? Yes, editing of submissions can be done all the way up to the International Soils Meeting. You will need your email submission confirmation, which contains login instructions. You will then be able to edit the author, title, content, etc.
I note an emphasis on 3 slides. Is this the rule? Yes, based on previous experience, the committee has set a three slide rule in order to keep talks to 5 minutes. As a "rapid" presenter, you will need to stick to that format.
Webinar: Make Your Abstract Compelling
View this webinar, recorded on March 16, 2017,
sponsored by the ASA, CSSA, and SSSA Career Center.
"Yes You Can ... Make Your Abstract Compelling!"
FREE to all members. Login required.
View the webinar here.
Abstract submissions are open through August 7.
Before beginning your abstract submission:
- Read the Abstract Regulations and View Tips for Writing an Abstract.
- Review Poster and Oral Presentation Tips
- Learn about available Graduate Student Competitions
- View webinar Make Your Abstract Compelling at SSSA
Student Advisors: Your student must submit their own abstract. Students must be signed in as themselves in order to receive the discounted student abstract rate.
2018-2019 ABSTRACT DATES & DEADLINES
|Nonrefundable abstract fees for:||May 15-July 24||July 25-Aug. 7|
|SSSA Professional Members/Nonmembers||$50||$70|
Graduate and Undergraduate Student Members*
Early abstract deadline: July 24, 4:00 PM CDT
Final abstract deadline: August 7, 4:00 PM CDT
Program published online: Early October
Abstract editing deadline: Oct. 25*, 4:00 PM CDT
*This is the editing deadline for the printed program book and abstract flash drives. Edits can continue to be made for the online program and app.
Promote your presentation with the International Soils Meeting Poster
SSSA Logo for Presentations
The below SSSA logo is available for use in your presentations:
Not a member? Join now for as little as $100, and receive all the benefits of membership.
Special membership rates are available for students, saving them an additional $20 in abstract fees*. Join SSSA Now!
*Student membership must be obtained prior to abstract submission to receive the student member abstract rate.
The difference in the student member/nonmember rates will not be refunded if student membership is received after submission.